12 Topics About Social Media That I Hope You Write About
I was recently contacted by Rosa Jaffe, LMSW who had this to say:
Dear Mr. Thompkins,Thanks for taking the time to read my message. I am trying to figure out what it takes to combine social work with social media and came across your twitter account. It looks like you have been really successful in combining both fields and I would love to talk to you about how you made it happen.
I asked Rosa to send me a list of questions she might have, because I believed it would be helpful to share my responses here so that others who may have similar questions can also become a part of the conversation.
Are you a person who is passionate about improving the lives of others in some way, and combines that passion with social media? Starting tomorrow, I’m going to begin to answer these questions myself, but I want to hear from you too.
There is room at the table for all of us. Some of these questions are tailored for Social Work, but feel free to change them to suit your own area(s) of interest or service.
Here are 12 Topics about Social Media that I Hope You Write About:
1. What inspired you to come up with the idea to conduct and share your work through technology?
2. Who or what supported you around building your website/sharing outlet?
3. How has using technology and social media as tools impacted your work?
4. How did you decide who your target audience was?
5. How did you develop a viewership?
6. What have you found most useful in using these tools for yourself as a worker and for viewers of your website and/or social media outlets?
7. What makes your website strong and considered successful?
8. How do you see technology as a tool for Social Workers? (Not a Social Worker? How do you see technology as a tool for the area in which you serve?)
9. How do you see the tools impacting the field?
10. What are some strong examples you have seen of Social Workers utilizing technology and social media, and what makes these examples strong?
11. What resources would you recommend to Social Workers that are beginning to use technology and social media as tools for their work?
12. What would you offer as your most important piece of advice to a social worker that is new to the field and wants to combine technology/social media with social work?
I’m still learning much of this as I go along, and I know we can learn things from each other. You never know who you might be helping by making your experiences accessible.
You can take all, or any number of these and do what you will. If you work best with blogging, do that. If you prefer podcasting, go for it. Videos? Whatever you feel most comfortable with.
Share your responses in the comments section. If you do end up creating responses to any or all of these questions in your own spaces, share the link(s) here so I can help spread your work to others who might want to start but might not know how or where to begin. Even those who may consider themselves to be “established” in this area will always have something new to learn.
12 topics about social media that I hope you write about.
Because sharing your story is important,
From Aspiring Humanitarian, Relando Thompkins, MSW